[OM] Re: Using those old time (and cheap) flash units

Subject: [OM] Re: Using those old time (and cheap) flash units
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:28:21 -0500
I don't have any sophisticated software.  I just take usually three
exposures of the same room.  One covers the shadows and brightens them
up a bit.  One is a "normal" exposure for the mid tones.  The third
covers the windows and attempts a near or slightly overexposed shot for
the outdoors if it's visible and leaves the rest of the room grossly
underexposed.  Then I just layer them in Photoshop, add masks and start
painting on the masks (slowly) with black and white paint to blend the
three exposures into one.

If I was smarter I'd have some kind of fancy High Dynamic Range software
which would do the work for me (if it exists)  I know that CS2 supports
HDR but I don't know how much of the work it does for you.

Even without the HDR, if I was smarter I'd probably be able to figure
some way of automatically generating the masks based on the luminance
channel or some such esoteric thing.  But I don't know how.

Between setup and test exposures and final exposures I probably spent
about 15 minutes shooting each room.  But I don't walk away with anymore
than three or, at most, four exposures per room.  In any case I don't
use more than three and will discard one of the four after getting it to
the computer and comparing a couple.  Merging the multiple exposures
probably takes 15-30 minutes per room.  Windows and especially window
frames adjacent to the glass are the hard part but are simplified if you
don't have to produce more than a web image.  Since I'm using natural
light I may have to move fairly quickly to avoid significant changes in
the quality of the light from beginning to end or from one side of the
house to the other.  I don't claim complete success on that front.

Ah, yes.  The barn.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/smith%20barn/group%20shot%20proof%20-%20img_0382.htm>
It's a wedding but I wasn't shooting the whole wedding.  I was hired to
produce just this one shot.  It took 5 lights and took about 2 hours to
setup counting hauling in all the lights.  The time required was more a
function of the lack of an assistant and the arrangement of the stairs
up to the loft.  The only stairs are on the right side near the back of
the barn.  To get to the light at the back of the left side required
going up the stairs, coming all the way forward to the camera position
and then going all the way to the back down the left side.  Adjust the
light, run back downstairs, fire the flashes and measure and then go
back up and adjust.  Gets us old cardiac patients wheezing pretty fast
:-)  Anyhow, the bride and main photog who hired me to make the shot
were happy.

Chuck Norcutt