[OM] Re: DNG issues with E-1 files

Subject: [OM] Re: DNG issues with E-1 files
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 09:55:20 +0000
Speaking of noise - do emissions from computers/mobile phones etc. affect
digital cameras at all (whether shooting or not)? Also, I know some camera
reviews I've read talk about extreme temperatures  (in terms of human
comfort, e.g. say, artic temps and desert temps) can adverely affect some
models - e.g. a review might say something like 'I doubt if it would work in
freezing/icy conditions). And do on. Film is a remarkably robust medium
considering its effectively just a bunch of chemicals at work! Also, I often
buy 'out-of-date' film that's maybe as much as a year or two past the sell
by date - yet you wouldn't believe it from the prints which look completely
normal. At, say, 20p a roll, it's well worth buying!
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx, olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: DNG issues with E-1 files
>Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 19:30:33 +1300
>

>Hi all
>
>AG wrote about DNG files and artifacts as below.
>
>I can see the artifacts, but he also comments on the web-page about noise.
>
>I couldn't see any ! ?
>
>Brian
> >

> > Ok, I posted the images in my gallery showing the difference in
> > the DNG files from the E-1.
> >
> > www.image66media.com
> >
> > go to the gallery
> >
> > These are 100% crops and notated.  The ACR converted files were
> > identical from the ORF and DNG. I was wrong in my previous
> > analysis because of variations in the auto settings during
> > conversion--hmmm.  However, the RSE 2006 converted DNG file
> > shows extensive artifacting.  I also included a sample scan from
> > VueScan showing the pattern noise that occurs in those files.
> > The VueScan files were identical regardless of ORF or DNG.

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!