[OM] Re: ( OM) Photographs of lens damage

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM) Photographs of lens damage
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 03:45:31 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Recently I bought at an auction, a Zuiko 21/3.5, knowing it had some kind of
> damage
> to the rear lens element. I did not know what kind of damage and could not
> ask as the
> auction was closing soon after I discovered it.
>
> It arrived yesterday, and I found the damage was right into the glass. Looks
> as though
> the rear lens cap has come off while the lens was joggling around loose in a
> camera
> bag, and rubbed against something hard.  Cleaning does not shift the marks.
>
> http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/zuikoholics/recent5.htm
>
> It will be interesting to see if  this damage has any discernible effect on
> images.

Oh, bad luck, Brian, I'd hoped it wasn't so much damage. It will almost
certainly affect images if left as is. Light will be refracted and
reflected and cause at least flare, if not actual bright spots.

T'were mine, I would cover the inside of the damaged areas with
something black, finepoint Sharpie ink, perhaps, to kill reflections and
refractions from the rough edges. It's possible that there will still be
a darker area in images, but that should be easier to correct. Perhaps
with a retrofocus design, where the rear node is actually behind the
rear element, even that won't happen.

I know you aren't into post processing and have computer limitations.
Still, one possibility if there is a darkened area would be to take an
image of a simple white subject, reverse it,  and make an exposure
correction mask that just compensates exposure where it is affected. by
the damage.

The other thing I would do is keep an eye out for the same lens with an
undamaged rear element but with damage elsewhere which renders it
inexpensive.

Moose