[OM] Re: ( OM) Photographs of lens damage

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM) Photographs of lens damage
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:53:22 +0000
I agree aboiut through the lens - but exiting the rear glass - the distance
from it to the film lens will be a big factor in how far light deviates from
the expected path. I'd do a test shoot (at all apertures) - its the only way
to determine how bad the damage actually is. I'm just saying wont be as bad
as if the pits were on the front glass (imo).
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM) Photographs of lens damage
>Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:08:04 -0500
>
>I don't think your geometric diagram has much bearing on the actual
>optical path through the lens or the apparent angles to the film plane
>from any given element, especially with severely retrofocus lenses such
>as the 21mm.
>
>Chuck Norcutt
>

>Allan Mee wrote:
>

> > If a vertical line were the proper path, you can see that a scratch on
>the
> > front of the lens would mean a larger displacement from the proper path
>by
> > the time it reached the rear of the lens. But from the rear of the lens
> > the 'film plane' may be small enough that the light path hasn't deviated
>by
> > much.

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Download the new Windows Live Toolbar, including Desktop search!
http://toolbar.live.com/?mkt=en-gb