[OM] Re: Fangs and Dark-side temptations

Subject: [OM] Re: Fangs and Dark-side temptations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 15:24:22 -0800
AG Schnozz wrote:
> It's not too many times this happens to me, but I was in the
> camera store today and managed to score an Expodisc for five
> bucks.  Unbelievable!

Excellent!
> Well, I looked very carefully at the D200 and 5D today--with
> battery grips.
To each his own.

I would pay a modest premium not to have a battery grip. Fortunately, it
works the other way.
> Both really are nice cameras, but that D200 just
> ran circles around the 5D in almost every way. Obviously, image
> quality and other issues may arguably be better with the 5D,
I think the differences are there, but not that big a deal for most
uses. Both scored very high in the ShootSmarter skin tone shootout. That
means next to nothing to me, but should be good news for you. the extra
mps do add up to greater resolution in practice, but the margin is small
and I wonder how often you would see it in a print.
> but as far as which camera just landed right I'd have to lean towards the
> D200. The viewfinder was LARGE and BRIGHT.
Huh, that's interesting. I hadn't thought about it, but now you remind
me. I just took some pics of the same subjects with 50/1.4 on an OM-1
and with adapter on the 5D. In the process, I was simply unaware of any
viewfinder differences. Even seeing the speed and aperture settings in
the 5D finder and needing to look or keep track of them on the OM-1
wasn't something I noticed negatively or positively. Subject, framing
and focus were really all I was 'seeing' and didn't seem different.
Guess I'm flexible.

I do like that a DSLR keeps track of camera settings for me; I had to
take notes for the OM-1.
> Also, the
> way Nikon has implemented the multi-point AF indicators is
> slick. The five FPS with very low blackout time is also a nice
> feature--I could comfortably use this camera for sports
> pictures.

I have no doubt the D200 is a great camera. The OM compatibility got me
into Canyon country with the 300D, and I still think that was a good
choice. I've recently had occasion to revisit some of the images I took
with it and I am very pleased with many of them. The slow accretion of
AF lenses meant that the choice of brand for my step up was not unbiased

If I were to approach the DSLR choice with no bias based on existing
equipment, I might well end up with a D200. But I have to say, I am very
happy with the 5D. And the ability to use my OM mount lenses, extension
tubes and bellows is still a useful plus.
> But you know what's strange?  I don't want either camera.
Sounds like the time for a change has not yet come.
> They both are about as emotionally satisfying as buying another minivan.

Hah! I never did that. '71 VW camper doesn't count; different kettle of
fish.

Moose