[OM] Re: Fangs and Dark-side temptations

Subject: [OM] Re: Fangs and Dark-side temptations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 18:49:23 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Never thought you were.
>
> A "print" button on a camera? What is that about? That is a concept I
> am unfamiliar with. Is there a printer is that battery holder?

Oh! Dahling! How 2003 of you!

Don't you LOVE to talk? Weellll, all OUR cameras talk to OUR printers.
Plug the little wire from the printer into the camera and print all the
pics you've selected, rotated, red-eyed, cropped in the camera.

Ciao!

---or whatever the current vernacular is.

Many cameras now include direct printing. The basic industry wide
interface is PictBridge then there is an enhancement which sends some
exif info to the printer to help it do a better job. Then there's DPOF,
a standard for specifying order and number of prints for each image. I
think it can operate directly from some cameras as well as be recorded
on the card for printers that print from cards.

Depending on how up to date the camera and printer are, you can specify
all sorts of print parameters, including multiples of the same image on
one page, index sheets, etc.

Then Canyon, as a major printer maker, has proprietary connection modes
between their cameras and printers in addition to the standards.
According to my 5D manual, there are two Canyon printer specific
communications modes.

I have never used any of the stuff, nor wanted to, really. But I can see
where a portable printer connected directly to the camera could be fun
and/or useful at various sorts of gatherings. I suppose here are folks
making money at events with this feature without the extra of a computer
in between. There are a number of small printers for 4x6ish paper that
are obviously aimed at this market.

Moose