[OM] Re: Fangs and Dark-side temptations

Subject: [OM] Re: Fangs and Dark-side temptations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 20:26:01 -0800
Ali Shah wrote:
> I ventured out to the local Best Buy last night. They
> have the D200, D80, D50, XTi, 30D, 5D, and Alpha. The
> Xti and Alpha have smallish viewfinders.
>
> The Xti is no different from the XT's body design. I
> am surprised by the Alpha's plasticky feel...even the
> trigger (shutter release) button is small and cheap
> feeling.
Ahhh, Sony putting on their special touch.
> However, the Alpha has dropped in price.
>
> The 30D, D80, and D200 are fine bodies.
>
> The 5D is a phenom but I didnt dare touch it.

It's not THAT special. And it doesn't bite anywhere but in the wallet. :-)

I'm curious about the K10D. Since he's not doing the E-400, I hope
that's what Phil is testing now. On a pure actually useful feature
basis, it stands out from all the rest in, and even somewhat above, its
price/mp category. On paper, it's what many of us would like to have
come from Oly. 10mp, body based IS, dustbuster, weather sealing, RAW
development and some new and useful sounding exposure modes, including
flexible auto iso with user set limits.

If they got the sensor system right, this could easily be the choice for
someone without a big investment in C or N system components either
starting into digital or switching.Take a look at the features here,
lots of really desirable stuff
<http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxk10d/>. And they have some
interesting glass and can use oodles of old glass.

If the sensor stuff doesn't deliver? Oh well, another boat anchor. But
if I were looking to switch from the E-series, I wouldn't jump before
seeing what the K10D can do.

Moose