[OM] Re: Cokin filter system

Subject: [OM] Re: Cokin filter system
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:36:10 -0600
> Kem,
>
> I'd suggest the P series for two reasons:
> 1. Since the P is larger, the issue of vignetting on a wide angle will be
> reduced, as well as providing mounts up to 82mm.
>
> 2.The P series format is supported by other manufacturers and they have higher
> quality (and higher prices to match).
>
> I'd suggest someone other than Cokin for a graduated ND filter (the primary
> reason to go to an adjustable rectangular filter system).  Cokin does have
> some
> fun filters that are of lower quality and in the modern era their function
> could
> be replaced by digital post production.  But fun is still fun.

With the DZ 14-54, even the P series will vignette at the wide end
because of the width (depth?) of the Cokin holder.  It's better to use
the P series filters and just hold them in front of the lens with your
fingers.

While others have noted a non-neutral quality to the Cokin grad ND
filters, I haven't.  I find them to be an excellent value.

Joel W.