[OM] Re: 40mm f2 at decent price. Oh, body attached. eBay BIN $325

Subject: [OM] Re: 40mm f2 at decent price. Oh, body attached. eBay BIN $325
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:02:12 -0500
Rarity I presume.  My recollections about list discussion of this lens
are that it was originally considered a low cost lens and thus not of
the  highest optical quality.  But despite the low cost it didn't sell
well and was soon discontinued.  Short production run and therefore rare.

FWIW, some folks consider that the "ideal" focal length for a "normal"
lens is one whose focal length equals the diagonal of the film frame.
35 mm film has a diagonal of 42mm and the 40mm is closer to that focal
length than any other Zuiko.

Where's Khem when we need him?  Why did Olympus decide to produce a 40mm
f/2?  Optimum focal length for producing a low cost moderately fast
normal lens?  If so, why was that Zuiko 50/1.8 the "normal" lens.

Inquiring minds and all that . . .

Chuck Norcutt