[OM] Re: Scanner recommendation

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner recommendation
From: "bill pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:27:39 -0600
"I'd like to get my feet wet scanning 35mm negatives and perhaps, later,
some of my ancient slides."
Ross,

You don't seriously expect all of us to give the same advice, do you??

But seriously, you have arrived at the station at a time that will require
running and jumping to get on the train. You will get many of the members of
this group that will tell you that one of the flatbeds will give good
results, but I'm not one of them. That is a measure of my requirements and
general level of picky-ness. If all you want is 4x6 prints, then the flatbed
will be fine. Of course, it will be eons before you can no longer get
machine prints at a drugstore, cheaper and probably better, so that question
is more complicated than it seems, and the final judgement is made on how
close the last drugstore that offers that service is to your home or work.

I have one of the do-all epsons, and I don't like the results of the film
scans. I did get the Doug Fisher holder, and the flatness issue is largely
resolved, but I've never gotten up the courage to open up the scanner and
clean the glass of the outgassing residue.

I've got a Minolta 5400, and I'm happy with it. I'm not sure I would
recommend one now, though, as service is now outsourced, and a supply of
replacement lamps is in question.

If I were you, I would get a current model Nikon scanner. I'm not in love
with the led light source and the resulting dof problems, but they can give
fine results, and service is more apt to be available when needed.

But then if I were you, I could probably have answered you in fewer words,
too.

Bill Pearce