[OM] Re: Panasonic over-priced?

Subject: [OM] Re: Panasonic over-priced?
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:43:11 -0500
At 03:37 PM 11/6/2006, Ali Shah wrote:

>I wonder how Panasonic intends to compete with their
>DSlr offering. Doesnt Panasonic want to go head to
>head with Sony or Samsung even? The body seems
>over-priced!!??

I haven't seen a price yet for the body only but ~$1750 US for the
body and lens does seem too high to me, even if they did license the
Leica name to put on the lens.

>  Even if the lens is a "Leica" - how
>many Leica folks will opt for the Panasonic!??

Not many folks of any kind it doesn't seem at the present time.  It
my searching around on the Web I haven't found more than a handful of
people that will admit to buying one.  And, I don't imagine many
Leica fans are going to rush out to buy a Leica badged lens that was
designed and manufactured by Panasonic.  Plus, it's looking like the
lens, while being very good, may not be anything extra special
anyway.  One comprehensive test that I saw comparing the 14-50 Leica
to the 14-54 Zuiko rated the Zuiko even or better in almost every
area.  As I remember the Leica had slightly better corner resolution
wide open in a narrow range of focal lengths but the Zuiko was better
everywhere else including things like distortion and CA.  Of course,
the Leica does have IS which I consider a big plus.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA