[OM] Re: [OT] The D40

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] The D40
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 18:29:48 -0800
Catch Canon how and is that Nikon's goal?  You may see that model as
giving up, but I am sure that Nikon sees it as a market opportunity
and filling out their line. In the days of film SLRs they sold basic
models as well. Selling cameras in a segment with no competition is a
way of increasing your sales and profits.

This is from their last annual report:

"Despite this growing competition Nikon Corporation has continued to
outperform the market, and has recently reported positive financial
results which saw group net profit climb by 20% in the fiscal first
half which ended in September. Group sales also increased by 9.8% to
342.85 billion yen in the same period. Sales of high end digital SLR
cameras and the success of products like the D70s and D50 have helped
contribute to these positive figures."

So, it sounds like they are doing OK.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA