[OM] Re: E-400 Photo gallery

Subject: [OM] Re: E-400 Photo gallery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 12:24:38 -0800
ScottGee1 wrote:
> Hmmm . . . shot #1 (city at night) shows more than a bit of noise in
> the shadows.  It was shot at ISO 640.  Contrast that with #6 which was
> shot at ISO 100.

The image chosen for #1 is unfortunate in a way. The later shots of food
and one of a library or bookstore are at iso 800 and show much better
noise characteristics. Yes, there is more noise than in comparable N & C
models, but it's a rather unobtrusive sort of noise and with the 10 mp,
will appear smaller at any given viewing size than that of the E-1.

I'm not sure just what's happening in #1, maybe light loom in dirty air?
maybe the difference is that so much of it is dark, where the noise is
worst, while the other iso 800 images are mostly light. I can't imagine
1/4 second would be long enough to reveal some long exposure problem.

I notice nobody posting anything higher than iso 800, probably a red flag.

In any case, not my cuppa, noise wise, but better than might be expected
with the high mp count. I think a lot of people will be happy with it.
The long awaited realization of the small size promised by 4/3 is a
pretty big deal for many.

Moose