[OM] Slouching Toward Something Else

Subject: [OM] Slouching Toward Something Else
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 17:16:34 -0500
The topic of new E-Thingies has quieted down recently, probably for the best
considering the various levels of frustration expressed here. That said, it
has remained on my back burner, and while I have been of a mind of wait and
see what's forthcoming from Olympus, I also have opened myself to other
systems and what they may have to offer. And, having opened myself, I find
more and more the vacant spots of my musings are being filled by the Nikon
D200. Most of what I've read about this relatively new offering suggests it
is worth every penny charged, and in fact is practically indistinguishable,
imagewise, from its legendary big brother, the D2X. Except, of course, the
D2X can substitute for a sledge hammer if needs be, while the D200 isn't
built quite that tough.

Also finding its way into consciousness is what appears to be an excellent
wide zoom from Tokina, the 12-24mm f/4, which the likes of Ken Rockwell says
pretty much stands up well to anything Nikkor has out there, and for half
the money.

Anyone have any experience with these puppies? If the list feels it's not
ready for another round of Oly bashing in the E-1 department, he is welcome
to reply off list. At this point I'm seeking information.

Thanx,

--Bob