[OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else

Subject: [OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 18:13:17 -0500
When I was seriously contemplating a 20D the Tokina 12-24 was on my
short list of lenses to buy.  Excellent reviews and, as part of the AT-X
Pro line, excellent build quality.  The 12-24 is specifically for APS-C
size sensors, a subset of the AT-X Pro line that Tokina calls "DX".

But, instead of a 20D, I've ended up with a 5D and a pair of Tokina AT-X
Pro lenses, the 28-80/2.8 and 80-200/2.8.  I'd love to have the AT-X Pro
20-35/2.8 and the AT-X Pro 80-400/4.5-5.6 as well but I think I've run
out of moola for awhile.  The OM mount Tokina 17/3.5 and the Zuiko
24/2.8 and 85-250/5 will have to fill the gap for the forseeable future.

Y'all may remember my lament that Tokina seemed to be discontinuing
lenses without replacement.  But as I look at the AT-X Pro line now what
I realize is that it appears to be the DX subset of lenses that is
managing to stay around.  I suddenly realized that the APS-C size sensor
is now king of the hill for digital cameras.  Canon is the only maker of
full frame sensors and most of those cameras are probably being fitted
with Canon lenses.  I think Tokina has just seen where the money is and
is going there post haste.  The DX line now consists of a 10-17/3.5-4.5
fisheye, the 12-24/4 (18-35 equivalent) and a 50-135/2.8 (80-200
equivalent).  Conspicuously missing is a 17-50/2.8 (28-80 equivalent) to
fill the middle.  Best performance on small sensors, especially as the
resoulution increases, will require newer lens designs.