[OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else

Subject: [OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else
From: Jim Couch <Zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:33:52 -0800
Bob,

I am not so fortunate as to have (or even played with) the D200, but I
do have a D70 and the Tokina 12-24. While I am very new to the world of
digital, so far I am pleased with both items. The Tokina lens is built
like a tank (so not particularly light) and seems to perform well. I
would say Rockwells comments on the lens are accurate. The only warning
would be that some folks might find the clutch focus ring kind of
awkward and a kludge. In order to move between auto and manual focusing
you have to move th focus ring back or forth along the lens. I would
find this somewhat bothersome in a mid range or tele lens, but in a wide
angle I don't find it a bother. auto focus is plenty fast with the lens
and since it is a constant f4 you rarely will need to switch to manual
on the fly. If you want manual focus for something like a landscape it
is not to difficult to switch. I would give the Nikon equivalent the
edge in handling, but at twice the price I don't see it as that big of a
deal. The Tokina is certainly first class in terms of performance and
build quality. The other hitch is they are rather hard to come by in
Nikon mount these days. I got mine off eBay - used - for a little bit
less than a lower end Internet price and they do show up fairly often,
but most of the reputable e-commerce sites (KEH, B&H, ect) seem to be
back ordered on the Nikon version these days.

Jim Couch