[OM] Re: white balance madness

Subject: [OM] Re: white balance madness
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:15:12 -0500
Ken,

Funny you should mention that.  Yesterday I felt I had a better
understanding of WB and today I feel I'm getting closer to "getting it".
And as Moose somewhat implied, better late than never. :)

Adjusting WB seems to be about making "white" things appear white as
they would appear under white, 5500K, noon day bright light,
compensating for any  color shift caused by the chosen light source.
Duh. :) I can see that this would be something that would be very
important to commercial product photographers as well as wedding
photographers as Chuck pointed out though not as important to landscape
or nature photographers in most cases.  As I'm writing this, what I'm
writing seems so obvious as I re-read it though in the past, I never
gave it much thought.  I just shot in Auto or the daylight setting and
made any adjustments in the RAW converter until it looked right.  I
guess I was just in a tech mood the last few days and wanted to delve
into something I lacked an understanding in.

Thanks to everyone who responded and offered input.  I'm more a student
on this list than one who has tech knowledge and advice to share with
others.  I pale in comparison to the majority of you when it comes to
technical issues related to OM gear, DSLRs and techniques used in
photography.

Richard L