[OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else

Subject: [OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:24:13 -0800 (PST)
> I think two bodies are needed, a four thirds one for the
> telephotos - I am guessing the 10mp E-400 will provide better
> results than a 5d cropped, but time will tell and of course
> a full frame camera for wide angles.

I'm not so sure about the wide-angle aspect.  The 7-14 ZD pretty
well takes care of almost anybody's WA needs.

The E-1 is still such an awesome camera for *some* types of
photography that it's a keeper probably for the long term with
me.  The only way I'd get rid of it is if I wholesale change to
Nikon.

I thought about the E-400's lack of weather sealing and it hit
me that the 5D doesn't have it either.  Other than a bit more
metal around the case (pretty thin at that), it's not really any
more robust than the Olympus E-xxx models.

> However I am pretty much decided that a 5d will be next on my
> list so much so I am contemplating selling my 3Ti to help
> fund it...

Ouch.  You're going to sell off a classic--which might never
decrease in investment value for a camera which will be
superceded with the new model (5dMii) in three months.

Olympus' 10MP sensor would actually give more usable pixels in
standard 5x7 or 8x10 cropping than a 10MP 2x3 sensor.  Also,
when you compare "short-side" dimension of the sensors, the 4/3
sensor is just barely smaller than the APS-C sensor in the 30D.
For those of us who crop nearly all of our images to 4x5 ratio
the size differential between 4/3 and APS is negligable.

AG

http://new.mail.yahoo.com