[OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else

Subject: [OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:22:43 -0800
Just about everyone has made very sharp 100mm lenses. There are some
very good 200mm lenses. A good 400mm costs a fortune and weighs a ton.

At the moment for the 5D (don't know about N*kon) one can use a C*non
300/4 which is almost affordable and light enough to carry. The Tamron
400/4 should work very well on it. The faster longer C*non lenses cost
a small fortune and along with the weight of the camera are too heavy.

I think it is easier to find a very high quality 200mm lens that is
affordable and light enough to carry than to find a possibly  slightly
lower quality 400mm lens that is both affordable and light enough to
carry. At a 400mm equivalent focal length, either system can give a
shallow DOF.

The Tamron 400/4 with 1.4x TC worked very well on my E1.  I don't
think there are very many 800/4 lenses. Leica had/has a very nice
telephoto that does something like 400/2.8, 560/4, 800/5.6 by changing
the backend of the lens. It costs about $20k.

For long telephoto, the smaller sensors have an advantage.

-jeff