[OM] Re: Site for determining if an OM lens is single of multi coated

Subject: [OM] Re: Site for determining if an OM lens is single of multi coated
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:29:46 -0800
R S wrote:
> I had this site bookmarked where you could look up a lens serial number to
> see if the lens was single- or multi coated but I've seem to have lost it.
> Does anyone know the site URL?

Your best central URL for this kind of stuff is R. Lee Hawkins site,
which references three multicoating links
<http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml>.

There are a few obvious errors in the tables.

Its really simpler than that, though; you don't need serial numbers for
most lenses. All prime lenses other than macro lenses are SC if a letter
and dot/period precede the name "ZUIKO" and whether there is a "MC"
designation or not

So a "G.ZUIKO" 50/1.4 is SC and a "ZUIKO" 50/1.4 is always MC. The
STYLING change from sliver nose to black nose happened at about the same
time as the SC to MC switch, so folks often confuse the two. However,
the nose color proves nothing while the only way the preceding letter
indicator can be wrong is when the lens front ring has been changes, as
in a repair.

The 75-150 zoom is SC, and all others are MC.

The F2 macros are MC and all others are marked on the front ring if MC.

Moose