[OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else

Subject: [OM] Re: Slouching Toward Something Else
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:51:19 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Not according to Moose's empirical tests.

That needs qualification. I tested the 6.3 mp 300D sensor against the
5.1 mp APS-C sized central portion of the 5D sensor. The 5D sensor
clearly resolved more than the 300D. However, this was strictly a
personal test to see if my assumption that I would not be giving away
what I already had by cropping the 5D to match the 1.6x factor of the
old 300D.

I only made a big deal about it because it so strongly illustrated that
mp count alone is not a reliable indicator of actual resolving power.
Per pixel resolution of sensor systems has improved over time, at least
for Canyon and, I suspect, for other brands as well.

 From the standpoint of Jeff's post:

The 300D sensor system is an older technology than the 5D

Newer Canyon small sensor bodies have higher mp counts and newer sensor
system designs than the 300D.

The 20D, 30D, 400D and probably the 350D will all out resolve the
equivalent size central area of the 5D.

I can't imagine current 8 mp and higher small sensor bodies from all
manufacturers wouldn't also out resolve the equivalent area of the 5D
sensor, although some will be noisier.

Jeff is right. If buying a second/backup body for the 5D today, I would
buy a 30D or 400D for the extra reach from the 1.6x factor. 5D for most
use, 30D for tele. Biggest disadvantage of the 400D is the different
battery.

Moose