[OM] Re: Matrix metering WAS: Slouching Toward Something Else

Subject: [OM] Re: Matrix metering WAS: Slouching Toward Something Else
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:07:54 +0000
My C*non A1 came today - and it's a really wonderful camera - despite being
a 1970s SLR. I'll be shopping around the camera shops over the next few days
looking for the best deal on a digital.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: Matrix metering WAS: Slouching Toward Something Else
>Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:46:01 -0800
>
>Jim Couch wrote:
> > For those who want a better idea of how matrix metering works here is
> > a link to a copy of the 1984 (yes it has been around that long!)
> > sales brochure for N*kon's matrix metering (at the time called AMP.)
> > Obligatory note to keep this on topic - the OM-40 employed something
> > similar (but more rudimentary) called ESP.)
> >
>Works rather well. Nothing near as fancy as the new stuff, but it can
>easily handle common odd lighting situations. It isn't fooled by backlit
>silhouettes or very light or dark section(s) in the outer parts of the
>frame. That's part of what makes it such a good walking about camera,
>one can relax a bit.
> > And yes, so far my experience has been that in general the Matrix
> > metering works very well. The reason pros override it is to gain
> > control in situations where it MIGHT not work, or where you might
> > want a different exposure than it would result. Because it is hard to
> > get a real handle on what the Matrix metering is doing, it can be
> > hard to predict what it will do in tricky lighting situations.
> >
>The OMPC/OM-40 has a little green light in the viewfinder that lights up
>when the ESP metering is altering the exposure from what the normal
>metering would do. And the switch to turn it off is handy. One may
>easily see what will be done with and without and choose or go manual in
>unusual situations. A rather well done option I wish were also on the OM-4.
>
>Moose

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

The new Windows Live Toolbar helps you guard against viruses
http://toolbar.live.com/?mkt=en-gb