[OM] Re: Learn from my mistake...

Subject: [OM] Re: Learn from my mistake...
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 20:02:43 +0000
DVD is not the best of mediums - one little scratch and its bye bye to an
awful lot of data - I know from bitter experience :(
CDs are more damage tolerant than DVDs.
Personally though, I would suggest a digital tape backup drive rather than
DVDs - a removable hard disk is also a good option. You can get digital tape
backup for whatever capacity you require. There is also the gandfather,
father, son strategy for important backups.
This is a common rotation scheme for rotating backup media. Originally
designed for tape back up, it works well for any hierarchical backup
strategy. The basic method is to define three sets of backups, such as
daily, weekly and monthly. The daily or Son backups are rotated on a daily
basis with one graduating to Father status each week. The weekly or Father
backups are rotated on a weekly basis with one graduating to Grandfather
status each month. Often one or more of the graduated backups is removed
from the site for safekeeping and disaster recovery purposes. A disadvantage
of this backup scheme is that it doesn't ensure that media is replaced
before it wears out. For example, each daily (son) media is used every week
until it fails, unless some method of tracking media age is implemented.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: "olympus@xxxxxxxxxx" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Learn from my mistake...
>Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:43:00 -0600
>

>Back up to CD/DVD or multiple hard drives!
>
>For the past few years, I've used a backup scheme for digital photos and
>scans that kept all files in one directory which was mirrored weekly to
>another drive. The system worked great until I had a
>system crash that corrupted my disk drivers and not only ate the original
>directory, but ate 90% of the mirror drive as well. While I can always
>re-scan my old film work, I'm out thousands of digital images
>that included professional work, published photographs, several ongoing
>projects, and tons of personal photos.
>
>Crux of the matter - you need a copy of your important work that can't be
>touched by a virus, power surge, corrupt driver, etc. Starting the day
>after the crash, everything that didn't get lost is now stored
>on DVD, primary drive, and an external drive. DVDs get taken home after
>burning.
>
>Wish I'd done that BEFORE the crash.
>
>BB
>
>--
>Barry B. Bean
>Bean & Bean Cotton Company
>Peach Orchard, MO
>www.beancotton.com
>www.beanformissouri.org

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!