[OM] Re: WAS slouching towards something else

Subject: [OM] Re: WAS slouching towards something else
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 08:04:55 -0800 (PST)
> Very interesting and maybe not so surprising about
> professional non-use of IS.  It seems that certain tools that
> are designed to help us can turn into obstacles to getting
> results.  C@non's own eye-control focus creates the same
> problem.

Well, we are talking about one specific type of use here.
Panning in motorsports could very well be a problem as the
system will tend to fight your own intended movements.  Other
sports applications--specifically in handheld situations, IS
does help.

Professionalism is knowing when and where to use a specific
feature.

Eye-control AF is another interesting beast. This was a solution
to an inherent problem in Canon's AF lenses.  The early EF
lenses were horrid at manual focusing. Also, the early
multi-point AF systems couldn't front-focus to save their lives.

There was good reason why many of us stuck with old-technology
as long as we did. Today's cameras have AF systems that actually
work and work very well.  Even the much defamed E-1's AF is
better than almost any Pre-2000 SLR/DSLR.

AG

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited