[OM] Re: [OT] B&W film processing, computers, linux, basic : anyone inte

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] B&W film processing, computers, linux, basic : anyone interested ?
From: "Fabio Fiorellato" <flowerside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:35:09 +0100
Hi Manuel,

It seems that "classic photography + hardcore linux-ing" is not that
uncommon here: well, sort of, as we're at least in two matching that
profile! :)

All my negatives / slides / prints scan and postprocessing is done on a
Gentoo Linux box: apart from having 8 bits per channel when postprocessing
images with GIMP, I don't feel I'm missing that much...

A friend of mine has come up with almost the same thing as your photo timer,
but in Windows flavour. Can't recall where the download URL is but ASAP I'll
let you know.

Honestly, though, I don't think that a photo timer operating on a PC is very
likely to be used in a darkroom: if it can be run on a hand-held machine
(palm and the likes) it will definitely be more useful... Nokia is selling a
delightfulm tablet PC running Linux on an ARM processor: don't recall if it
can run KDE or a lighter desktop environment, if so your software won't be
that difficult to adapt...

Going back to your photo timer, if you need any kind of help (testing,
translations etc.) drop me a mail.

Meanwhile, congratulations for your work!

Ciao!

Fabio