[OM] Re: E-1 for B&W

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 for B&W
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:14:42 -0800 (PST)
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Seems I recall someone on this list (AG?) talking some time
> ago about having an E-1 optimized for black and white.

Yes, I wrote about it back in 2005.  Here's my email from
4-1-2005:

(regarding a special B&W image)
Uh, not mine. This one has been modified with the Kodak
KAF-5101M Image Sensor. The normal E-1 has the KAF-5101CE Image
Sensor. The KAF-5101CE is the color sensor, and the KAF-5101M is
the monochrome sensor.

The KAF-5101M's Bayer array has cyan, yellow and red colors and
the antialiasing filter and IR filter is removed. The sensors
are identical in every way, except for the color array and one
processing chip. The speed and sensor size specifications are
the same.

During RAW processing, you've got to use a special "developer"
as you'll need to control the ratio of inclusion of each color.
Somebody has a sense of humour, though. The program is called
D76.  You want to stick with RAW mode as the in-camera JPEGs are
garbage.

Kodak has replacement monochrome sensors for the DCS-14N and 14C
available too. There is an "independent" company in Rochester
that does the conversions.

AG

http://new.mail.yahoo.com