[OM] Post processing light distribution [was white balance madness]

Subject: [OM] Post processing light distribution [was white balance madness]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:20:01 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks, but while I agree that the folks in the back rows could use a
> little more brightening than I already gave them, I prefer my version to
> yours.
I wasn't really trying to make the image "better", just different - but
let me start over - forget the group pic.

What I was trying to do is offer another tool for the digital darkroom
for those who might find it useful. With all the talk about multiple
lights and techniques to get even lighting, I thought maybe a process I
sometimes use could prove useful. I guess I chose the wrong image on
which to illustrate it.

Jeff posted a link to some shots of a dwelling that got me thinking
about it again. So Jeff, hope you don't mind, here goes nothing again.
My assumption about these shots is that they are meant to make the
property look good without lying. :-)

- The bedroom shows quite a bit of hot spotting. A quick run through
doesn't make the lighting completely even, which would be pretty dull, I
think. To me, it makes  the room feel much warmer and more inviting by
lightening up the corners and high-lighting the bed, so it becomes the
focal point, rather than the bright areas on blank walls
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Keller/bedroom.htm>.

- Oddly enough, the patio suffers from a similar problem, the part that
should be inviting is dark and cold looking. Here, because of the
outdoor setting and wildly different lighting in sun and shade, I broke
it into two parts, applying the technique to the shade part
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Keller/patio_b.htm>.

Jon's recent post about the color of his website led me to again(?)
meander with him and others listees through the countryside to a church
where he made an image of an unevenly lit part of the interior.

- As with many of my tech examples, the artistically most desirable
version might lay somewhere between the original and my alternate
version. So if you don't like it so bright and shiny, try to look past
that to how much more even the lighting is from left to right and from
brighter areas to shadows
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/JonMitchell/45122633.26020.htm>.

And I still think this technique applied to the snaps of this library
and kitchen transform really awful lighting into something much better
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Lighting/Library2.htm>
& <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Lighting/Kitchen.htm>.

Moose