[OM] Re: [OT] B&W film processing, computers, linux, basic : anyone inte

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] B&W film processing, computers, linux, basic : anyone interested ?
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 01:01:24 +0100
Thank you, Chris and Fabio, for your support and your remarks. I've set up the
basis of my project's hosting on sourceforge, and while there's not much more
to see at the moment, the framework is working. So now, I'm working on the
alpha release (at the moment, access is done via cvs only).

chris> However, I use only OSX ...

It /may/ work, as OS X is an unix enough ; but I know Gambas is at the moment
restricted to 32 bits processors (the author, otherwise bright, probably made
a conception mistake there). 64 bits machines are considered, but there's no
public schedule on that issue. So maybe, in a near future...

chris> Unless that's a French word, by the way, "Developer" has only one
"p" :-)

The french word is "développeur", but in photography context, you're more
likely to find "agent développateur" as a chemical part of the
"révélateur" (developer /per se/) formula. So, in a word, yes, I made a
spelling mistake. If you happen to spot some more... ["lavage" on the washing
frame has been corrected].

Fabio> It seems that "classic photography + hardcore linux-ing" is not that
> uncommon here: well, sort of, as we're at least in two matching that
> profile! :)

Good news !

Fabio> All my negatives / slides / prints scan and postprocessing is done on a
> Gentoo Linux box: apart from having 8 bits per channel when postprocessing
> images with GIMP, I don't feel I'm missing that much...

I made a post some days ago about krita ; it appears it has what gimp misses.

Fabio> A friend of mine has come up with almost the same thing as your photo
> timer, but in Windows flavour. Can't recall where the download URL is but
> ASAP I'll let you know.

Are you speaking of Claudio Bonavolta, by any chance ? I talked to him on
fr.rec.photo.labo and he pointed me to his software at
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/fr/photo/darktools.htm ; now, that's a serious
piece of work. But he has a serious piece of darkroom too !!
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/mylab.htm

To state the obvious, my needs and aims are much, much more modest.

Fabio> Honestly, though, I don't think that a photo timer operating on a PC is
> very likely to be used in a darkroom: if it can be run on a hand-held
> machine (palm and the likes) it will definitely be more useful...

It runs on my laptop, and I find it comfortable enough. And a Palm is so
90's ;-þ

Fabio> Going back to your photo timer, if you need any kind of help (testing,
> translations etc.) drop me a mail.

Thank you again for your support. As soon as I've got a feature-complete
release, I'll mail you, if you don't mind, mostly for translations (and more
if you feel like to). It's easy to translate in gambas, there's absolutely no
programmation involved, and it's really nice for users ; I've already got
french, en_us, and spanish.

--
Manuel Viet