[OM] Troublesome OM1

Subject: [OM] Troublesome OM1
From: "bill pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:34:40 -0600
Welcome to the list. We will render you penniless in mere months! If you
wish to study canine behavior at its worst, bring up guns, suv's or pirated
software.

The OM1 should please you, as it was often compared with the Leica M. As
others have mentioned, there is no reason to even use a battery, unless you
wish to have the meter. It is fully like your M3, with a transverse cloth
shutter, a neat sound, and mechanical speeds, but without the expense of a
visoflex. The OM1 should remain serviceable long after the electronic
cameras have given up the ghost.

Dropping the other shoe, it is somewhere around 30 years old. It should have
had its foam replaced several times by now, and ready for at least its
second cla. As a mostly mechanical camera, the cost of a cla is reasonable,
and it will remain repairable for years to come, baring abuse or
catastrophy.

Both Camtech and Photosphere are highly qualified, reputable, and
reasonable. I don't know about Clint, but I do know that John at Camtech
can, with a cla, adapt the meter to use silver cells. Until then, you can
use a hearing aid battery for testing. You will need to shim it around the
circumference, as the zinc-air cells (#675?) is smaller. Someone else can
give the correct number o-ring, if you want.

You have a wonderful tool, that will likely last as long as there is film
available, and I believe that will be quite some time. Do yourself a favor,
and get it completely cla-ed, and you will enjoy it for years.

Some of us may have lenses for sale, and I can hear the hands rubbing
together already!

Bill Pearce