[OM] Re: Post processing light distribution [was white balance madness]

Subject: [OM] Re: Post processing light distribution [was white balance madness]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:25:51 -0500
I've been meaning to reply to Moose's post so I guess now is as good as
any.  Perhaps Moose is just being his normal pedantic self but my first
reaction to the mods to the bedroom and patio shots was; "Hey, yes, tell
me how you did that.  I want to know."  And that was followed by "It's
been overdone and looks unnatural."

The bedroom photo has corrected the hotspot from the flash on the
ceiling and brought up the natural light from the window which shows on
the wall.  But it has also brought up the brightness at the viewers end
of the room and the bed with no apparent light source to do so.  I think
a better photo would use the bottom half of Jeff's photo and the top
half of Moose's.

I could also accept the bedroom photo as is but I can't say the same for
the patio shot.  To me, the patio shot was taken in another solar system
with binary suns.  That's the only way to explain the light from the
weaker red giant that is illuminationg the patio while the G class star
sets in the front yard.  Very interesting mods and I'd like to know how
to do it but I think he forgot to use the opacity slider on the
adjustment layer.  :-)

I have similar feelings but to a much lesser degree on the kitchen shot.
  Things are brighter but I can't tell where the light might be coming
from and it looks just a little unnatural.  The library on the other
hand is just perfect.  Wish I'd a'done it.

Chuck Norcutt