[OM] Re: Introduction and OM-1 questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Introduction and OM-1 questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:22:30 -0500
You're dealing with probably 30 years of old grease, oil, dirt and
deteriorating foam.  The foam on the back is the light seal and it is
slowly dissolving.  You can replace it yourself without too much
difficulty and it's easier to do if you check John's web site for a foam
seal kit which comes with pre-cut pieces.  See "replacement back foam
sets" on this page: <http://www.zuiko.com/Whatsleft.htm>  Installation
instructions are on his site: <http://www.zuiko.com/7Backfoam.htm>

You cannot see the pentaprism foam directly without removing the top
cover since the foam is between the cover and the prism.  But what's
happening to your light seal foam can also be happening to your prism
foam.  Unfortunately, it's not so benevolent in there as it tends to eat
the paint and silvering off the prism.  If you can see evidence of it
(dark spots in the view finder) it's too late, your prism is already
being ruined and should be replaced.  It's possible your particular
camera doesn't have foam.  A small number never had foam, a few may have
had the foam removed during a prior service but most OM-1's and 1n's do
have foam and may eventually ruin your prism.

The camera is really long overdue for servicing or clean, lube and
adjust (CLA).  If you simply replace the back foam you're just treating
one external symptom of an aging machine.  Kind of like changing the
weather strip on your car doors when what it really needs is an oil
change and a new timing belt.  Have John or Clint do a CLA.  You'll be
amazed at what you get back.

Chuck Norcutt