[OM] Re: [OT] cd mastering (was Re: [Photo] this is Linn)

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] cd mastering (was Re: [Photo] this is Linn)
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:08:09 +0100
Okay that sounds a better reason than mine with no foundation other than
chinese whispers, I just knew they didn't sound as good. the problem or
maybe not as sales of ipods and mp3 players soar  is that most music is
getting listened to now as mp3, so music that was only just equivalent
to vinyl gets encoded futher. I noticed this when I aquired an iriver
H340 (for saving my flash cards to :-) ) and listened to some converted
CD's I knew well, sure it sounds okay and if I hadn't heard them on a
good system I wouldn't know better, but there was certainly something
missing. Hmm I wonder what happened to my portable cassette player from
the 80's. Like photography and a of of other things in life convenience
is winning over quality, The base quality level is higher however my
guess is that people will eventually realise and the tide will turn.

Like old slides and negatives, I still have some vinyl albums safe in
storage waiting for me to dig my old deck out, shame my amp doesn't have
a pre amp module.

IanW