[OM] Re: Velvia 50 returns

Subject: [OM] Re: Velvia 50 returns
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:27:16 -0800
Donald wrote:
> <snip>
> Heh, heh. The only Velvia I've scanned had to have its colour toned down
> by a quarter... eh, 25%.
>
> More to the point, I'm trying to get my head round Vuescan's RAW mode. I
> mean, I read the bit about scans being dark, but some of them look like
> night scenes from My Darling Clementine; colour's crap, too.

RAW files from Vuescan are not intended to be viewed or printed
directly. Unfortunately, they are in TIFF format, so people look at them
and think there is something wrong.

Like the various RAW formats from cameras, the VueScan RAW output is the
unmodified output from the scanner. The purpose of these files is to
provide a 'digital negative' that can be processed into regular forms
over and over again without having to actually physically scan the film
again.

This is a great way to learn what you can do with VueScan. You scan a
few shots into RAW and then try out its options to see what comes out.
Also, apropos my post a few minutes ago about icc profiles for films,
where I had kept RAW files for previously scanned rolls from before I
learned about profiles, I was able to go back and "re-scan" them without
touching the film. The examples I posted with and without profile only
required one physical scan apiece.

My workflow for scanning film is to first scan to RAW without any other
processing or output. This minimizes the time spent playing with loading
film strips into the scanner. Then I "scan*" from RAW to JPEG and/or
TIFF with color adjustments, auto cropping, dust removal, etc., which
runs in background or while I'm off doing other things.

Moose

* Choose "Scan from File" in the input menu.