[OM] Re: Post processing light distribution [was white balance madness]

Subject: [OM] Re: Post processing light distribution [was white balance madness]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 04:04:39 -0800
Jeff Keller wrote:
> More info please?
>
> The patio image could be divided into two halves using a straight line
> following the roof line down to the shadow on the fence. The shadow
> side could be warmed while the bright side could  have the exposure
> adjusted down. It appeared you used a more involved selection. What
> did you do?

I selected along the roof, down the side and followed the shadow along,
then down on the fence. Fairly easy.
> The bedroom appears to have the exposure boosted near the two sides
> and bottom. Do you rember how you did the selection / mask ?

That's what I like about this process, I did no selecting at all. At the
end, I used a very light, fuzzy dodging brush to soften a brightish area
above the headboard.

The drill is the same as in my ill-fated example with Chuck's family
portrait:

- 16 bit
- Shadow/Highlight
- Contrast/Brightness, if needed
- LCE
- Curves

> "... without lying."    I don't see my job to uncover the truth but to
> present the property in a favorable light. I believe the buyers like
> to have pleasing photos of the house they buy.
Exactly what I was aiming at. Chuck is right about the flaws in my
version of the patio, but I think should look good to a prospective
buyer without misrepresenting the property.
> <snip>
>
> I know my own preference is for images that are cooler than what most
> people like, even most of the list members. Your warming of the patio
> would be an improvment to 99.9% of all viewers.
Which I suppose would include most prospective buyers. :-)
> Hearing other peoples
> likes and dislikes is very helpful. I was hoping to go back and
> re-take the shot in early morning light. I didn't get a chance as the
> seller was still trying to fix up his home for his Sunday open house
> and had stuff everywhere. I also agree my image has a hot spot on the
> bedroom ceiling that needs to be fixed. Time flees ...

Again, that's why I recommend trying this process, it's quick and easy.
You don't end up spending ages with selections , masks , etc.  Your
bedroom pic and the library examles I posted involved no selection or
masking at all. And if you do it right, you end up with a processed
layer over the original and can simply adjust the effect to taste with
layer opacity.
Moose