[OM] Re: [OT] cd mastering (was Re: [Photo] this is Linn)

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] cd mastering (was Re: [Photo] this is Linn)
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:23:28 -0600
priit@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, swisspace wrote:
>
>> However I think you will enjoy it much more as to me the
>> quality of CD media  with all its anti copy stuff has in my opinion
>> dropped, it would interesting to do a comparison now with a modern CD
>> pressing against the vinyl  equivalent.
>
> I haven't heard about anti copy stuff affecting the sound quality, but
> there has been increasing talk about overcompression of commercial CD-s.
> Unfortunately I can't find a very good and quite militant site I read on
> this topic a few years ago, but there's tons of articles on the web. For
> example,
>
> http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm

The current trend in mastering is "make it more louder".  If you look at
the waveform, instead of actual dynamic range, mostmodern radio-oriented
music has two levels - "on" or "off".  Photographic equivalent of taking
your carefully-composed and exposed negative and copying it onto litho
film before you make prints.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon