[OM] Re: [OT] cd mastering (was Re: [Photo] this is Linn)

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] cd mastering (was Re: [Photo] this is Linn)
From: "bill pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:05:51 -0600
A really good friend of
mine was an engineer at WGBH and did a blind test with several
musicians from the Philharmanic.  They did a "without
compression" and a "with compression".  To a man and woman, they
preferred the compressed sound better.  Why?  Because they could
hear their own part!

In my 10 years at a public radio station that played mostly classical, we
applied modest compression (in commercial radio terms), again to increase
coverage and improve the sound in cars. Cars are the prime market for radio
now, you know!

My most impressive moment for sound was in college. I was a music student,
and several of us visited a professors home. He had a mono console record
player, probably from Sears or Wards. Crap, in other words.

As we listened to a classical recording, he commented on the various players
in the orchestra. Most of us could barely hear, if at all, the individual
parts, but he could pick out, as a friend used to say, a soft fart in the
back of the viola section.

It was then that I realized that ears are as important as equipment.

Bill Pearce