[OM] Re: Ornery mood

Subject: [OM] Re: Ornery mood
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:38:02 +0000
My son had a non-writable hard disk. You could format it - and still re-boot
into windows and all the files were still all there. You could delete them -
but on reboot, back they'd be. We re-formatted it, tried installing Linux
and still it rebooted in Windows. I personally think the MBR and other
system areas were faulty - readable, but not writable. You could write new
files to the drive - but if you then tried to delete them, back they'd be
after a reboot. We tried a Norton rescue disk for another PC (whch had
Norton on it and a similar hard disk) to force a rewrite of the system areas
- but still nope! Reboot the PC and the drive would be back to normal. We
also tried putting BEOS on it - same thing. We tried the drive in different
PCs - still the same. We threw the drive away eventually - although my son
wanted to try using a powerful electro-magnet to format the drive first lol
That really was the weirdest drive I ever encountered - being my son's
drive, he even tried the manufacturers low-level format and diagnostic
utilities - which like Windows and the BIOS reported the drive as 'Working
properly'. My son also wanted to try selling the drive to Microsoft - he
figured MS might be interested ina drive which Windows can't be removed
from. My son ended up storing copies of important MP3s on there - firguring
it was the perfect permanent storage place.
Allan (who is being 100% honest in this email)

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters