[OM] Re: WTB Dioptric Correction Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB Dioptric Correction Lens
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:45:06 -0400
Hello Russ,

>I'd like to buy a +2 (number engraved on the eyecup 1 lens). (I'm 95%
>certain that's what I need based on R. Lee Hawkins' FAQ.)

Trying to figure out the Olympus diopter numbers was my very first
question to the list, I think!

There's some wrong information floating around, but the rule is
simple: you need the number that would be your eyeglass prescription
for focusing *at infinity*.

The confusion comes in because the finder eyepiece lenses make the
groundglass image appear to be at about 3-4 feet. This is why there
is a nominal "zero" lens available--for mildly farsighted people who
need no correction at infinity, but who need a slight positive lens
to focus at 4 feet.

Interestingly, the number printed on my Eyecup 1 diopters seems to be
lightly silvered or something, not engraved.

Frankly both Olympus's eyecup 1 and 2 designs leave something to be
desired in terms of light-shielding and comfort. I've had better luck
(thanks to a suggestion here) by buying a generic teardrop-shaped
eyecup, and re-cutting it with scissors to fit my eye socket. You
still need to remove it to open the film door, though.

I got mine from an ebay seller, camerahunter, $14 shipped:
www.thecamerahunter.com  His take the same 19mm drop-in lenses as the
Olympus Eyecup 1.

Actually, I suspect the 19mm thread-in diopters for older N!kon
cameras would work too--has anyone tried it? They're still in stock
at B&H.
   --Ross