[OM] OM-4 Speed Ring Adventures

Subject: [OM] OM-4 Speed Ring Adventures
From: S Revlis <srevlis3@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:18:13 -0800 (PST)
I had a too hard to turn speed selector ring so I got the ?new? used speed
ring. Everything cleaned and lubed, put back together and still too stiff, so I
figure the spring that pushes the little ball bearing into the detents in the
speed ring is pushing too hard so I bend it back a bit. Too big a bit it turns
out because it doesn't even get close to getting the ball into the ring. So I
try to bend it back - really hard to do.

  Now the spring just barely pushes the ball so the speed ring can be easily
moved with just one finger and there is some, but not much, feedback when it
slots into any given speed. Kind of feels like the thumb notch focus on some
Leica M lenses..

  Question: In manual mode does the shutter only fire at the speed shown in the
view finder or will it fire at speeds in between if the selector ring is set at
say 1/60 & a third of the way to 1/125?

  I guess some of you might like to try this on your OM?s if you like one
finger speed selection. I can?t help wonder if there is some major drawback to
this that you?re all about to inform me of.

Sponsored Link

$200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity -
Click now for info