[OM] Re: D40 official

Subject: [OM] Re: D40 official
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:52:45 -0800 (PST)
Moose wrote:
> It certainly looks like N has nailed the entry level DSLR -
> from the perspective of those knowledgeable in what does and
> doesn't contribute to effective image making. A very
> impressive package and super value.

I'm reminded that Nikon, Minolta and Canon all introduced
super-dumbed-down auto-focus SLRs in the late '80s and early
'90s.  In fact, one of the Minoltas had ONLY auto-exposure modes
with no manual override.  Great in concept, but miserable
marketing failures.  Seems that KMart was about the only place
that could sell the things.

> Nonetheless, I think it is still a horse race.

Agreed. In fact, I think think that there is a "Winner/Loser" in
this equation.  A rising tide lifts all boats.  As long as they
reach their numerical sales goal, it really doesn't matter know
sells more in a single month.

> The 400D is very little more money even now...

Other than the gripshape, this camera definitely got my
attention. This is one camera that finally has specifications
and real usability feaures (dust-shaker) that give me reason to
consider a BXTPDB.

I'm disappointed to see that my favorite digicam format is
getting squeezed out of existance:  2/3".  I consider this "4/3
Lite". With the pixel-counts they are stuffing into smaller
chips, and the noise-filtering being done, I think it would be
possible to build a very nice 10mp 2/3" digicam with performance
characteristcs that rival DSLRs.  Just look at how well the new
Canon G7 does.

AG

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$420k for $1,399/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre