[OM] Re: Eekbay

Subject: [OM] Re: Eekbay
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 03:37:36 -0800 (PST)
> > At the moment I'm
> > not in a mood for doing any more saving up so I'm tempted to
> > go out and just buy a SLR lookalike such as the Fujifilm
> > Finepix S6500fd Zoom (Digital...

Almost three years ago I did this by purchasing a Minolta A1. I
considered it to be a "bridge camera".  They key to this is to
get a camera that truely is designed as a camera and not a piece
of consumer electronics. The Minolta fit the bill very nicely
with an outstanding lens and a feature set that screamed
"professional".  It's main drawbacks were:

1. fixed lens, but an outstanding lens with 28-200mm equivelent
zooming range.

2. smaller sensor, but 2/3" really isn't that bad. When shot at
lower ISOs, the image quality is just fine.

3. slower autofocus.

But the camera allowed me to delay the purchase of a DSLR by an
entire year and with the 49mm filter ring was interchangeable
with my filters and accessories for the OM system.  That delay
saved me as much money (by the availability and dropping in
prices) on the DSLR as I spent on the camera in the first place.

At this point, if I were you, I'd look seriously at trying to
snag a used E-300 or 350D.  I'm not sure that shutter life is
that much of a concern unless I was getting a D30, D60, 10D, 20D
or Nikon D70. Those cameras were typically used by professionals
and easily were pushed to their design-life limits.  For
example, my A1 has well over 20,000 shutter clicks and my E-1 is
approaching 20,000.  This would be considered "light duty" for
any full-time pro, and "moderate" for most part-timers like me.
I'm averaging about 15,000 per year total.

In the Olympus brand, I'd suggest that the E-300 is probably the
real "sleeper".  Get the battery-grip for it and it's actually a
really nice setup.

AG

Sponsored Link

Don't quit your job - take classes online
www.Classesusa.com