[OM] Re: Ingrid Bergman - two new images

Subject: [OM] Re: Ingrid Bergman - two new images
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:28:24 -0800
First of all, Brian, it looks to me like you've got your links crossed
or Winsor misread them as I did.

The first thumbnail, although I read it as labeled "Resized with
Irfanview. Not sharpened in any way.", links to
_b172295-sz-instant-fix.jpg, which would mean the label below applies,
rather than the apparent label above. And indeed, the instant-fix has
blown out the red channel and has funny color.

The fourth thumbnail, labeled only "Ingrid Bergman; solo bloom." links
to _b172295-sz.jpg, which should also have the "Resized with Irfanview.
Not sharpened in any way." label, appears to be the un-messed with
version. It doesn't have any problem with blown highlights in any channel.

Winsor Crosby wrote:
> There is nothing wrong with your lens Brian, nor is it unsharp,
> although it is not cheating to sharpen a digital image.
I agree with these folks; essentially all digitally acquired images,
digicam or scanner, require sharpening to reveal the detail that's in
there, but not otherwise apparent to the human eye.

As usual, various instant fixes seldom really fix things. I would never
expect such a thing, which depends on the overall average color of the
image to be neutral gray, to come up with anything useful on this image.

Also, your apparent obsession with file size, as evinced by your file
size notes with various exclamation points, may be getting in the way of
sharpness in your images. JPEG images are compressed to a greater or
lesser extent depending on the setting of the app that compresses them.
It is important to understand that, for any given compression setting,
the sharper the image, the more pixel level detail there is in it which
cannot be compressed without losing detail, and the larger the JPEG will
be. You can't loser size further without sacrificing detail.

Using LCE, with some care to avoid blowing highlights or shadows and a
little sharpening, I come up with this
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/IBergman.htm>. It
doesn't appear unsharp to me

The 14-45 may have more linear distortion and possibly other
aberrations, but on an E-1, there shouldn't be any obvious difference in
sharpness at full size in at least the central portions vs. the 14-54.
The AA filter is a great leveler in this regard. The E-400 may start to
show sharpness differences between the lenses. At this reduced size, I
wouldn't expect to see a difference in sharpness.

Moose