[OM] Re: OT G7 review [was D40 official]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT G7 review [was D40 official]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:44:03 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Raw seems to be almost gone in compact cameras. You almost have to
> choose between a slower older model with raw or a newer quick camera
> that is jpeg only.

If I were in the market for a P&S, other than the F30, I would be trying
out the competitors with my own memory cards to determine how they
process JPEGs. Just seeing the difference between the F10 and F30, I
have had my eyes opened. The F10 clips shadows detail, while the F30
compresses it. And it seems to do a little of the same on the highlight
end, I think.

With a camera that compresses detail at the ends of the histogram,
rather than dumping it, it is possible to come close to what RAW would
allow. Obviously, I don't know about other brands and models, but this
would be an important criterion for me is evaluating any camera without RAW.

Moose