[OM] Re: iMac for Workflow

Subject: [OM] Re: iMac for Workflow
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:03:45 -0800
That might have been the case up until OS X 10.4.8. Photoshop got a
35% speed increase running under Rosetta
emulation with ten forty-eight on Intel Macs. I ran some benchmarks
on my MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo using Photoshop CS under Windoze via
Bootcamp
or under Rosetta emulation with 10.4.6, back in May when I got it:

My Dual Processor 2 GHz G5  with 1 gig RAM (my desktop machine):  29
seconds (with Safari open)
My MacBook Core Duo 2 Ghz (512 Meg RAM) running Win XP via Bootcamp
and PS CS: 27.7 seconds
My MacBook Core Duo 2 Ghz  (512 Meg RAM) running OSX PS CS2 under
emulation with Rosetta: 38 seconds

With 10.4.8, that difference would go down quite a bit running PS CS2
under emulation in Rosetta due the Speed increase
from the new OS.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/11/firstlooks/rosetta/index.php?
lsrc=mwtoprss

FWIW, running XP in Parallels is roughly 25-30% slower than natively
via BootCamp.

FWIW, Lightroom runs as a native app on all MacIntel models.

-Stephen.