[OM] Re: KEH "BGN" grade

Subject: [OM] Re: KEH "BGN" grade
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:19:26 -0500
Chuck, if you don't need it quickly, I suggest called KEH, asking for
Tim and ask him to pull a couple of the 540EZs for you.  Typically
takes a day for him to get them in hand.  Then he can describe them
and you can decide which way you want to go.

Yes, KEH allows returns for any reason BUT after you pay their minimum
shipping cost ($13) and pay return shipping, you might as well go for
an "EX" rated one.

Be aware that they often have multiple examples of an item of the same
rating.  Meaning, they could have eight 540EZs in "BGN" condition but
list them as a single entry on the website.

I've stated this here before, but since the question has come up again
. . . I think KEH is getting lax regarding ratings.  I've had to
return some "BGN" items that simply do not work correctly or do not
meet their own description standard.  Unless you think it's OK for a
"BGN" lens to have a chip out of the front element.

I also think their shipping charges are too steep.  Order a lens cap
and you'll pay $13 for ground shipping.  I used to work for UPS and
trust me, an account that ships at KEH's volume level gets significant
discounts.  B&H is smart enough to offer reasonable shipping, KEH
could do the same.  IMO, of course!

FWIW/ScottGee1