[OM] Re: E300 to studio flash

Subject: [OM] Re: E300 to studio flash
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:45:05 -0800 (PST)
Chuch wrote:
> Actually, it's a bit surprising to me but there seem to be
> very few picture takers at these events and even fewer after
> the lights go down really low.  Maybe they can't see to point
> their point and shoots.

This has been my experience too.  The P&S cameras have given way
to cellphone cameras.  And the big benefit of cellphone cameras
is that the pipsqueek flash in them isn't bright enough to
trigger most optical slaves anyway.  And when they do, just like
with P&S cameras, the preflash triggers the slaves and causes
their images to all turn out underexposed.  After a couple tries
at that they tend to give up.

On the extremely rare occasion I do use optical slaves in an
uncontrolled environment, I'm usually using an umbrella and the
slave-cell is pointing into the 'brella and is pretty much blind
to most flashes.  I'm using a Vivitar 285HV with a
light-scattering Ultrabounce diffuser so the splattered light
usually gets to the sensor.

Also, like Chuck noted, the recycle times are pretty short for
plugged in studio flashes.  If they fail to fire, no biggy as my
on-camera flash and -2 ambient exposure usually is more than
recoverable.  But I very much dislike losing control with
optical slaves.

AG

Sponsored Link

Online degrees - find the right program to advance your career.
Www.nextag.com