[OM] OT -- use of English, was Re: The Truth out digital cameras

Subject: [OM] OT -- use of English, was Re: The Truth out digital cameras
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:28:15 +0000
Heh, Jez ;-)

Here is part the "spiel" from the website I maintain for the
University of London Air Squadron, under the heading, "Hints for Good
English":

•       "Due to" is used to describe a noun clause, whereas "because of" or
"owing to" is used to describe a verb clause; e.g. "the train was
late because of leaves on the line"; or "the lateness of the train
was due to leaves on the line".  The first phrase uses "because of"
to describe "... was late ..." (a verb clause); the second phrase
uses "due to" to describe "... the lateness of the train ..." ( a
noun clause).  It is therefore extremely unlikely that you will be
correct if you start a sentence with "due to", mainly because you are
almost bound to follow it with the verb that you are trying to describe.

Any comments?

Chris