[OM] Re: Adobe Lightroom and PS

Subject: [OM] Re: Adobe Lightroom and PS
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:25:35 -0800
On 11/23/06 9:38 AM, "Richard Lovison" <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Businesses are different animals...
> from my experience, most large businesses live and die for a select few
> and when push comes to shove, show little heartfelt, genuine concern for
> their employees or customer base.

Publicly held corporations like Adobe are bound by different rules than
small businesses like RRS. Their corporate charters _demand_ that they put
their shareholders' profit first, before both employees and customers. It's
a hold-over from the first corporate charters which were created by royals
to fund exploration and profitable exploitation of the New World. Until
those charters change, corporations won't either. There is a movement afoot
to modify the charters to allow corporations to be more socially and
environmentally responsible. Read David Korten's "When Corporations Rule the
World." Great background for this kind of discussion.

Adobe, of course, is Seattle-based, so I've known many people who've worked
there, stretching back to when it was Aldus. They have found it to be a
great place to work, right up until the moment their jobs were outsourced to
programmers in India. (Happened to a good friend who'd been with Adobe for
15+ years.)

I still like Lightroom....;-)

Rob in Seattle