[OM] Re: Introduction

Subject: [OM] Re: Introduction
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:18:17 -0700
Phil wrote:
> Hi Just a quick introduction, I was recommended her by one of the regulars.
> I am from Essex in the uk, have just aquired an E1 folloowing the demise of
> my E500

Welcome to the List, Phil.

> Just looking to learn from people and make some new friends
>
> First question
>
> On looking to buy an OM adapter, the sales guys metioned that many of the OM
> lenses dont work fully on
> the E500, in that not all apertures work etc, can anyone give any more info.

The sales guy(s) was/were smoking crack.  Manual OM-system lenses work
just fine on an E-1 or E-500.  I started off with the E-1 and a slew of
OM lenses, and after half a year I've broken down and bought a Digital
Zuiko 14-54, but I still use OM lenses with the E-1 as well.  In fact,
my four faves are the Zuiko 21/2.0, 50/1.2, 90/2.0 macro and 100/2.0.
The 90 and 100 are so sharp, you could cut yourself on the images, even
with the E-1's overly-aggressive anti-aliasing filter.

If by "don't work" they meant "At large apertures, you may have to put
in some exposure compensation," then yes, in that sense, they "don't
work."  But in practise, if you tend to shoot at middle apertures
anyways (say, from F/2.8 to F/11 on a lens that starts at F/2.0), the
difference in exposure values will oftentimes be so small that you won't
be able to tell the difference.  I typically set my E-1 to Aperture
priority when I use OM lenses -- thus, changing the aperture (which is
fully manual on the E-1 when using OM lenses) automatically alters the
shutter speed to give you a correct exposure.

In any case, I've dialed in a permanent 1/3rd stop underexposure,
because I don't like blown highlights.  They're easy to check for by
chimping your E-1's rear display.

The venerable Moose, in another reply to your initial e-mail to the
List, says this:

> OM=> 4/3 adapters are available from many different sources, ranging
> from about $20 to over $100. Since the adapter is only for mechanical
> connection and has no moving parts, there is no reason for it to be
> expensive.

My response to this would be "Fit and Finish."  In other words,
third-party adapters are probably reverse-engineered from the Olympus
Digital->OM adapter known as the MF-1.  Since the MF-1 itself is an
Olympus re-issue of an earlier adapter (the ME-1, I believe) which was
necessitated by the earlier adapter being ever-so-slightly "off," that
tells me that the fit and finish is crucial to get the lens-to-image
plane registration distance exactly correct.  I'd go with an actual MF-1
myself (in fact, I did, and I'm extremely happy with it).  YMMV.  I paid
$99.00 CDN for mine at a local pro shop here in Calgary.

Hope this helps.  There are many people on this List who use the E-1
both with OM-System and Digital Zuiko lenses, which oughta tell you
something.  ;-)

Garth