[OM] FL36 fill flash test

Subject: [OM] FL36 fill flash test
From: James Royall <jamesroyall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:44:57 +0000
I'm trying to figure out what the camera (E300) flash combo is doing
in its FP TTL auto mode. I just did a test by interrupting my
daughter's lunch and pulling up the blind so she has direct sun on
the side of her face. If you ever meet her when she's older please
don't tell her I posted shots of her mid-mouthful, in her nappy, ill
with a cold, up on the internet; I'm sure she would be mortified.
I've put three up at:

http://web.mac.com/jamesroyall/iWeb/OM/Photos.html

The best way to view them is using the slideshow. A forward and back
arrow appears if you move your mouse to the bottom of the image.

The first one was shot with no compensation, the second with -1
exposure compensation on the camera, and the third with -1 on the
camera and +1 on the flash. What I was expecting was that the second
would be underexposed overall, as the exposure for the camera and the
flash would be down a stop and that the third exposure would be
correct but with more emphasis on the flash light source and less on
the ambient exposure. But the second gives the best exposure (only a
tiny patch in her hair is blown out). Looking at the stone in the
window behind, which is taking direct light from the flash, it
doesn't seem to vary between shots one and two. This makes me think
that the flash is giving off the same output in shots one and two and
effectively ignoring the overall compensation. Does this make sense?
If so, is it TTL control of the flash during the exposure?

James